First World War,Great War,Past and Present,Army Service Corps,Roy Larkin,ASC,photographs,images"/> Arques
Arques canal and quays pre-ww1 Arques canal and quays today

Canal et des Quais, (now Quai du Commerce)

The Quai was an important supply depot on the canal that flowed from the Channel at Dunkerque to La Bassee, with Arques having excellent road and rail links to the
Ypres salient.

62 Coy ASC (2 Division Ammunition Park)
 (diary starts) 1 September 1915.
Moved from the Grand Place to the Quai 14 March 1916.

The buildings in front of the steel framework on the
canal bank are exactly the same as during the war.

69 Coy ASC (Lahore DSC) arrived 19 October 1914.
73 Coy ASC (3 cavalry DSC) arrived 8 August 1915.
Thousands of troops and millions of tons of ammunition passed through the railhead and Quai at Arques.
Back to Index